Thursday 20 September 2007

Today is the big day, the official launch of the PLUS campaign. I am hoping that the press will pick up on the story in earnest for this evening's Welsh News. I saw a short interview with Alison on this morning's news and hope the coverage goes on all day. To succeed this campaign needs public support and to get that people need to first know what it's all about.
People need to realise that it is People Like Us that this disease affects; I could just as easily have been their daughter, sister, wife or mother. It doesn't just attack the very young or the elderly, I was 17 when I first started having problems. People of all ages and from all walks of life can have their lives turned upside down by the diagnosis that the have End Stage Renal Failure. Disease is no respecter of wealth or status. Please support this campaign to raise awareness of the needs of renal patients in Wales this isn't just about money (although it is always good to raise funds!) this is about word of mouth and people power. Getting the issues talked about and raising the profile of patients who need your support.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mel
I have just seen the item on the bbc news and come online to see if I can help. My sister is on CAPD dialysis and we have had a nightmare year. Because we live in Mid Wales she was sent to Birmingham Hospital for her initial treatment and assessments. Birmingham is 2 and a half hours each way in a car for her - and the journeys have really taken their toll on her health. At one point we were taking her up once a week - Xmas eve and New years eve included. Amazingly - she has adapted well to CAPD - something which you will know is not easy. She has now been told that she only has to go to clinic once every 3 months and that there is a possibility that they might start a renal clinic in Worcester which will save her an hour or so on the road. We are fortunate to be part of a big family and we all take it in turns to take her.
I think it is disgusting that people with such a serious illness have to travel so far for treatment and I would like to help to make renal treatment easier and more accessible for people in Wales.
I wish you all the very best

Melanie said...

Thank you for your support, I hope that your sister is getting better now she is recieving the correct treatment. Feel free to contact me via the blog if you wish to. Please write to your AM, MP and local councillors to highlight your sisters experience.
Your sister might find the Welsh Kidney Patients Assos. some help - it is patients helping other patients.
My thoughts go to you and your family, Melanie

Allison John said...

Hi there,

As the leader of the People Like Us Campaign I want to make a difference to people with Kidney disease like your sister. I was on haemodialysis for 18 months and was very fortunate to have a kidney tranplant from my father in December last year. I am currently working on building a patient focused group as part of the Kidney Wales Foundation and the People Like Us campaign. See our blog www.pluscampaign.blogspot.com or www.kidneywales.com for details of our charity and the campaign. One of our issues in the campaign is lack of facilities for people living in rural Wales, in places such as Mid Wales. We are aware of the travel time that patients in these areas have to endure in order to recieve thier treatment which is not on in 2007. We must unite as patients to make renal services in Wales better. I hope you get involved with our campaign. I am looking for patients from Mid Wales and I'm sure you'd be great to have on board. You can join our campaign via our blog www.pluscampaign.blogspot.com
Allison